Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Big Sister

“I wanted to do something for my community, and fate stepped in when I spotted a flier at work. It was a Big Brothers and Big Sisters flier, so I took it back to my cubicle and called the number,” Melissa Nelson said.
Melissa Nelson joined Big Brothers and Big Sisters to get a little sister, to help improve her Spanish skills, and to learn about herself. She became a big sister on October 14, 2004 to Hannah Villarreal.
“I did not know what to expect when I became Hannah’s big sister, because I only had a little brother, so it was a new experience for me.” Melissa said. Hannah just turned thirteen, and was an excellent match for Melissa, because Melissa's second language is Spanish. Melissa used Spanish to improve Hannah's English skills, because she was able to explain things to Hannah that she couldn't get from her mom. Hannah's mom doesn't speak English.
Melissa spends a lot of time with Hannah. During the school year, she picks Hannah up from school on Thursdays, and every Saturday she takes Hannah to the library. In the summer, Melissa just picks Hannah up every Saturday, so they can go biking or to the movies.
The friendship also gave Hannah a role model. A friend she could call when struggling in school or just to talk to when she felt like talking. When asked about her big sister, Hannah said, “I was really excited to meet Melissa. She is very nice to me. She bought me a bike for my birthday and took me to see Shrek 4. ”
Melissa also started a savings account for Hannah, with the hopes it will help Hannah pay for college.
"I believe with college will be a reality for Hannah," Melissa said. "I am going to do my best to see her walk across that stage and receive her diploma."

No comments:

Post a Comment