Wednesday, October 13, 2010

English Major

What is an English major to do in this economy, or even any economy? I don't know. I guess that is why I started this blog. I want a place to put my writing, and maybe inform while doing it.

I picked English as my major because I was seduced by the well written sentence, and lured in by the stories of gainfully employed writers.

I also picked English because I have opinions and wanted to learn how to write a better argument, so someday I could grace the pages of the local newspapers.

You might say why didn't you just become a journalism major if you wanted to write copy for the local newspaper?

I would tell that I love and loved reading the classics, and needed to get credits for my passion. I also wanted to take advantage of the great professors that were in the English department. Two of them were award winning writers, and I couldn't say that about the professors in the journalism program.

English might seem like a waste of major, considering the tight the job market, and large number of unemployed right now. And I knew that an English major wasn't going to get a lot of fancy jobs, but I wanted to learn from the best people on campus, and at that time it was the English department.

Business majors will probably make more money over their lifetime, and nursing majors will probably make more money, but how many hours will they have to work? Will they be happy?

It is hard to say what the future will hold for this English major? I know college debt to be repaid is on the top of the list, but the debt was sure worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment