Tuesday, October 4, 2011

English Major = critical thinking skills

Never start a piece of writing with a questions, so that is why I mentioned that fact.

What about critical thinking?

English majors are great at critical thinking, maybe. I can remember a final paper I wrote in college that my professor told me lacked writing and critical thinking skills. He didn't give me a very high grade for the paper, and somehow I still passed the class. The class was my capstone class in Humanistic Studies, and the professor loved to talk and his discussions led to great debates in the class. I can't say anything bad about his class.

I don't even remember what I wrote about in the paper, and his critism did sting. I did a little bit of soul searching on my way home from class that day, and soon realized that this wouldn't be the only time someone would question my writing ability. Not everyone is going to like what I write, and not every argument I make will stand up to the bright minds of the critics out there in the world. The important thing to remember is how to learn from what just happened and it apply it to what I write in the future.

A lot is said about the importance of critical thinking skills and their applications in the real world, but at some point critical thinking skills seem to lose to the impulses of human nature. The impulses of human nature are the cryponite of critical thinking, and at times have lapses in critical thinking, but not all lapses are counted in your final grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment