Monday, October 3, 2011

English Major?

What happens to an English major in today's economy and what  can an English major expect, they picked English as their major.

Who were his parents that let him pick English as a major, never mind the fact he was an adult when he did it.

Why didn't he pick a useful major like accounting, maybe something dealing with healthcare, and even business? At least you would be using your degree.

How do we define "using" when it comes to a college degree? Because doesn't a college degree give a student an broad education in the workings of the world?

Am I using my degree in my job? I will say no and yes.

No, I am not being paid to be a writer in my current job, but I made $2.02 on Digital Journal, and need to make an additional $7.98 to actually get paid for my writing.

I self-published a short story, and am working on a novel. I know that sounds like a cliche, doesn't it? Yes, and using cliches in writing is one of those commandments you shouldn't break. 

Yes, I am using my degree, because my degree is just about English, it is about the liberal arts education that I receieved from the honorable University of Wisconsin system. That means that in order for me to get a degree in English, I, poor English Major, had to take general education classes, and those classes taught me more than just how to read and write. I learned, be it simplified, business ideas about supply and demand. I learned about improving production by streamlining processes. I also learned basic sociology, psychology, math, and science. I also don't want to recount my 12 credits in history. Did I mention my minor was Humanistic studies? 

I do remember learning that ethics was covered with a lot of passion in college, but what I learned in college about ethics in business never matched the one seen in the real world.

Yes, I have an English degree, but it is more than just that, because it is a college degree that proves a commitment and willingness to do the work required to get the job done.

I might not get rich from my possession of an English degree, but there is more to life than just money, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment